Wishaw Golf Club was founded in 1894 at a meeting in the cookery rooms of Wishaw Public school. A short course was laid out at that time around the area of greenhead road, records from the Wishaw press confirm this with a report on an inter club match against Carluke Golf Club, held in 1894. Later in 1897 the club was established, and a course was laid out between Heathery road and Bridge Street this extended down through Craigneuk. The club moved to the present course and clubhouse site in 1935, the clubhouse and car park was purchased from Lord Belhaven in 1936 and the main area of the course was purchased later from Lord Belhaven in 1953, the course was laid out in 1935 by James Braid a prominent golfer and course designer.
Wishaw Golf Club, situated to the north of the town centre, is a parkland course designed by the legendary golf course architect and former Open champion James Braid, with many tree lined fairways and good views of the local area to be enjoyed from a number of vantage points.