The house was built around 1840 for Mr G Smart who owned the Valley Works (Jute Mill) in River Street. The mill's claim to fame was producing some of the linen used on the liner "Queen Elizabeth". The house was split into 3 properties in the early 60s. We purchased the main part of the house in 1988 and eventually the flat below in 1992.